What happens when your first internal exam at your 36 week appointment reveals that, not only is your baby's head super low because he has dropped into your pelvis, but that you are dilated 3 cm and about 90% effaced?
I'll tell you.
The first thing that happens is that you laugh for about and hour -- all the way home from the doctor's office, in fact -- because you were so not expecting to hear such crazy numbers. You had expected to hear that you weren't dilated or effaced at all, and that your baby would be coming later than your due date.
Then you get serious and realize that this could mean your baby might come in May and not June. This will cause you to almost panic.
Then you will repack your hospital bag and wait.
And if at your second internal exam a week later you discover that you are further dilated to 4.5 cm and basically fully effaced, and you start to wonder what exactly is holding this baby in, don't worry about it.
Because really, no one knows what that means. Baby could be coming super soon, or... not.
So I'm waiting -- not very patiently at all -- for my inside baby to become my outside baby.
Any minute now...
Right?
2 comments:
Hee Hee. With Lottie I was at a 4 and fully effaced for about six weeks before I had her. I think until your feet are in the stirrups the numbers mean nothing!
This little post entertained me...you were right; this inquiring mind wanted to know. :D
Post a Comment