So... I've been looking for ideas for how I can make a difference in my community and in the world on my limited budget and with my limited schedule. One idea I find particularly intriguing is Kiva.

This is a non-profit organization that deals in person-to-person micro-lending. The idea is that you use PayPal to lend a small amount of money, let's say $25, to an entrepreneur in another country. You help them get their business of the ground, improve their lives and the economy of their community, and they pay you back. You then have 3 options: you can withdraw your money, you can donate it to Kiva (to cover their overhead, etc.), or you can select another entrepreneur and lend it out again!
I've had the thought that groups of friends or families could get together funds an choose together who to give it to. I mean, get 5 friends together, each of you pitch in $5 and you're off! I think you can get updates from the people who are using your money, and the payback rate is 97% (a better return than most "investments" these days, and definitely more rewarding!)
Check out their website to learn more. My brother also had me read this blog post -- seems like this guy has really done his research!
Kiva also has a group on Facebook.
1 comment:
I will have to look in to this more.... I always feel guilty for not doing enough either. And thanks for posting my button, it looks great on your page, if I do say so myself ;)
Post a Comment