3.23.2009

Calf Creek Trip

Spring Break has come! (And gone, unfortunately...) And we finally headed out on our much-anticipated camping trip to Calf Creek Falls on Friday, March 13th.

Gear (and LOTS of it) in tow, we headed down to the Escalante/Grand Staircase area to get our outdoorsey on with Coral, Chaz and Angie.

Saturday was spent Geocaching in an alcove just outside of the town of Escalante.
Then we headed down "Hole-in-the-Rock Road" to Devil's Garden. This "outstanding natural area" was just that, outstanding. There was so much to do and see, we could have spent all day there!
Sunday was spent hiking the trail to Lower Calf Creek Falls. The trail was a bit more challenging than I remember it, but no less beautiful. The weather was great for hiking -- not cold, but not too warm.
Along the way you can make out 900-year-old petroglyphs on the cliff wall. (My family has hiked this trail often, and I was sad to see how much these markings had been faded with time -- still impressive, though.) The falls were a beautiful place to enjoy our lunches.


We were sad to pack up Monday, but glad at the thought of showers and warm beds back home. On our way out of town, we stopped at Anasazi State Park and saw some Anasazi ruins.

Thanks to Coral, Chaz, and Angie for making this trip one of our favorites so far! You guys rock our socks off!!!

2 comments:

Vallen Family said...

Ooo, that looks like a fun place to go hike. I've never hiked in southern utah, but now I think that would be a fun thing to do this spring/summer.

Vanessa said...

Beautiful photos! I would love to make that hike up to the falls. So gorgeous!