3.05.2010

Hot and Cold


Do you ever get in the shower and find that the water is too hot or cold, and then can't remember which way to turn the handles so you can fix the problem?

Oh good. Me too.

I think this comes from my growing-up years.

From the age of 11, I lived in a beautiful 100-year-old farm house which needed a fair bit of TLC. My parents are do-it-yourself-ers to the extreme, so they were equal to the task, and they have spent the years since they bought the house ripping out walls and rewiring and painting and plastering. (The house really looks amazing! Seriously!)

At one point, my Dad had re-installed the kitchen plumbing himself, and he switched the hot and cold on our kitchen faucet. I'm not really sure why we didn't bother to correct this problem right away, but it remained that way for quite a while. I was in a state of constant confusion about how to get what temperature I needed from kitchen sinks.

I can't tell you how many glasses of water I have filled only to dump them out and try again because I had run warm (or hot!) water instead of cold. I could often be found asking friends which way was cold if I was at their house, or even my own, because then I would know to do the opposite.

I'm not really sure that I had a point in writing this, but I just KNOW that my confusion in the shower has its roots in my kitchen sink growing up, and I marvel at how deeply entrenched little things like that can become.

3 comments:

Vallen Family said...

We had a problem like that with our washer, and for almost 2 years we had it the wrong way. For the little amount of time that it took to fix, it made us think we should have changed it a LONG time before.

THE RHOADES said...

That is too funny. Our shower is the same way I also get confused when I'm in a different shower. It'll be weird to get used to a "normal" shower when we move. I hope all is going well for you.. it's been a while!

And I do agree.. your parents house is beautiful!!

Kristyn said...

Thanks, And1! You're a doll!