11.11.2009

Washington Trip Recap

I haven't yet taken the opportunity to write about our trip to Washington State earlier this fall, so I better do that.

Taking a leaf out of Coral's book, I'll share the pages I've scrapbooked. Let me know what you think!

We spent the first two days of our trip with Preston's brother, Courtlan, and his family. We went to church with them and took a walk around Olympia's Capitol Building on Sunday.



The next day we went on a couple of outings with the kids. I didn't document them because they were both a little disappointing, but still fun. We went to a "cider mill" in hopes of finding some awesome Washington apples. That didn't happen. But they did have goats there who would climb up a tall tower and when you put feed in thier buckets they would actually operate a pulley to get the bucket up to them. They were super-goats!  We also went to Tumwater Park, where they have salmon ladders for the salmon swimming upstream. We didn't see any salmon in the ladders, but the park was a very pretty place.

That evening, we headed up to Seattle. We were a little early to check into our hotel, so we drove out to the Seattle temple. It was a really beautiful place.


 
 
While we were in Seattle, we went to the Olympic Sculpture Park. It's outdoors at the Seattle Museum of Art, and it's free! (our favorite feature!) It was a fun, albeit wet, experience.



We then walked to Pikes Place Market (it was a LONG walk) for some lunch. After that, we went to the Aquarium.




 

I really enjoyed the Aquarium! It felt like real life Finding Nemo! I even touched an anemonie!

More to come later as I finish scrapbooking our trip. This is my first real attempt at digital scrapbooking, so let me know what you think!

5 comments:

Rachel Steed said...

Those scrapbook pages are A-MAZING! Maybe I'll be as creative as you some day. :)

Coral Gibbons said...

Ok, ummm... You are already better at scrapbooking than I am! I see some techniques I think you'll have to teach me... I love all of them! And Preston really did get some great pics of the fish. They are beautiful!

Kristyn said...

You guys are sweet, thanks!
Rachel - I loved the header you made for your blog! Those things are always more challenging than they appear at first.

Coral - That's a huge compliment, thank you! I don't know what I could possibly teach you - you're a pro! Plus I'm using a different program than Photoshop. I think most of the fancy stuff was built into the kits I used.

Rachel Steed said...

I also have a question for you, Kristyn. On your food blog, you have a "button" on the side that people can put on their own blogs with the HTML code for the link below it; how on earth do you do that? I'm trying to link my new blog to my main blog, and it's not working out so well.

P.S. Did you make those scrapbook pages by hand and then scan them in, or do everything on the computer and then print them out? A combination?

Kristyn said...

Rachel:

I'll send you an email about the button. It's kind of a complicated process.

The pages are done right on my computer using a program called GIMP - it's free and you can use it on Mac or PC. It has a lot of the same features as Photoshop, but without the price tag.

And all the kits I use are free downloads as well. Yay for completely free hobbies!

I haven't yet printed any of my pages (heck, I haven't even printed any of my wedding photos, so I'm WAY behind), but you could get them printed anywhere you print photos - Costco is probably a good idea.